ABOUT THE LESSON PACKAGE
Welcome to Eenders & Anders – different & similar – your window on the Low Countries (the Netherlands and Belgium). It lets you peek at Europe – and fulfils CAPS requirements.
Welcome to Eenders & Anders – different & similar – your window on the Low Countries (the Netherlands and Belgium). It also lets you peek at Europe – and it fulfils the CAPS requirements.
Eenders & Anders fulfils all the requirements of the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS), and as such can be used as an enrichment tool in language teaching and as an adjunct to one of the chapters in your language textbook. The lesson package for each grade consists of a learner guide, teacher guide and this website.
The aim is to give you a peek at the literature, language and culture of the Netherlands and Flanders (the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium). We invite you to join us on an exciting and adventurous journey to the Low Countries. Enjoy!
Initially you might find it a difficult to understand the Dutch texts, but you will soon get used to it and at the completion of the lesson package you might even try to speak a little Dutch. By then you would already have tried to make you own discoveries in the wonderful material available in Dutch on the internet. The people of the Low Countries are technologically advanced, so there are exciting videos, apps, sound bites and games to discover.
The texts in the lesson package are either in Afrikaans or Dutch. Try to track the ways in which the two languages are similar (Eenders) and how they differ (Anders). The questions and assignments will, however, be in Afrikaans and your answers can also be in Afrikaans.
Learning a new language is not for old fossils and nerds! With your new skills and knowledge you will suddenly understand what the origins of many Afrikaans words and expressions are and how Afrikaans developed
primarily from Dutch. This is an exciting journey of discovery!
We hope that you won’t just spend two weeks being transported away from your normal school day, but will fall in love with the Low Countries. Who knows – one day you might even travel to these two countries and experience the wonderful opportunities offered by the Dutch language for yourself.
So, welcome to the Low Countries and enjoy your journey!
The learner books are aimed at learners taking Afrikaans Home Language. The material contains interesting and contemporary reading matter and lots of excellent illustrations.
The learner books are aimed at learners taking Afrikaans Home Language. The material contains interesting and contemporary reading matter and lots of excellent illustrations..
To make it short and punchy, the lesson package is designed for grades 6 to 11, with a different learner book for each grade.
Each learner book:
- covers all CAPS requirements
- can replace a two-week cycle in the school year programme
- introduces learners to the Dutch and Flemish cultures
- is based on authentic Dutch and Flemish texts
- is enriched by appropriate photos of the Netherlands, Belgium and South Africa
- can be used to enrich and reinforce lessons
- is supplemented by extra reading matter for teachers
- serves as a bridging device between printed textbooks and e-learning
- connects to a website and blog
In working through the lesson package, you will enhance your visual literacy, while the language content, activities and other exercises will enrich your world and sharpen your Afrikaans language skills. In addition to all of this, you will be exposed to the Dutch language as an extra bonus!
The short texts, illustrations, poems, comics, fact boxes and activities, as well as fun readings, will expose you to listening, speaking, reading, looking and writing – and hone your skills. Take up the challenge to use Afrikaans and Dutch language structures playfully and creatively!
Doing the Eenders & Anders Afrikaans series means that teachers will join their learners on an exciting, fun journey to the Low Countries around the Netherlands!
Doing the Eenders & Anders Afrikaans series means that teachers will join their learners on an exciting, fun journey to the Low Countries!
The teacher guide follows CAPS to the letter and the contents will spur teachers to renewed enthusiasm for teaching by providing support for this task by:
- focusing on communicative and text-based approaches that allow functional and creative learning in the classroom
- offering appropriate CAPS-prescribed, contemporary themed content and context in a wide variety of text formats – all integrated with the syllabus to foster spontaneous learning
- offering a useful teaching, learning and assessment plan for every module, as well as guidelines for lesson planning and daily assessment
- offering extra content for teachers with an encompassing formal assessment programme for each grade as well as various methods and instruments for daily assessments
- linking language skills and processes to each activity in order to make planning and report writing easier
- providing a complete results key for every module, as well as guidelines, tips and procedures for learner activities
- providing a website where teachers can communicate with each other – as well as with colleagues in the Netherlands – and where learners can work interactively